How To Clean And Care For Wood Furniture?
Therefore, if you have wood furniture in your home, knowing how to clean and care for it is essential. Without regular cleaning, wooden chairs, tables, couches, beds and other items can develop stains and lose their lustre. What’s more, dirty furniture can host millions of germs, colonies of termites and mould spots which are a health hazard.
Since wood furniture is expensive, replacing it is not an option for most people. Additionally, if you are renter living in a furnished home, keeping and leaving the wood furniture reasonably clean is essential to get your bond back when the tenancy ends.
Thus, to avoid financial burden and health issues, look at the tips below to clean and care for wood furniture. They will come in handy during end of lease cleaning in Sunshine Coast as well.
Maintain Furniture with Regular Dusting & Vacuuming
Even with a hectic life and no time for deep cleaning, you can easily maintain your wood furniture by dusting and vacuuming it routinely. The activity hardly takes 10 minutes and you can care for the furniture. Here’s what you can do to preserve wood furniture every day.
- Wipe all pieces of furniture in your home with microfibre cloths. These cloths are designed to trap dust, fine particles and even bacteria from hard surfaces. You can use them without a cleaner and keep furniture items in the best condition.
- Alternatively, you can vacuum wood furniture with a brush and upholstery tool to collect dust, debris, allergens and contaminants. Upholstery cleaning is an important part of furniture cleaning.
- Ideally, it is best to dust then vacuum wood furniture. It is a technique professional bond cleaners in Sunshine Coast use to get the best results.
Clean Wood Furniture with Green Products
Markets are saturated with wood cleaners but most commercial products contain harmful chemicals and dangerous volatile organic compounds. Therefore, it is best to use natural and organic cleaning products readily available in your home. Follow the below green cleaning methods to get the best results.
Wipe the furniture with a solution of dishwashing liquid and warm water to remove dust, dirt and grime. Dampen a cotton cloth with the solution to clean wood furniture then wipe with a dry microfiber cloth.
Add white vinegar to the solution for removing stubborn build-up and prevent mould spots. Vinegar can dissolve dirt, grease and grime. It can even kill certain strains of bacteria and clean surfaces effectively.
Sanitise and deodorise the furniture with baking soda. Apply the power on a damp sponge to clean wood furniture. Baking soda is mild abrasive product that cleans and deodorises hard surfaces without scratches, swirls or other damage. It also repels pests making it perfect for wood furniture cleaning. Therefore, it is often used for end of lease cleaning in Sunshine Coast.
Clean Spills & Remove Stains Immediately
Procrastinating cleaning spills and stains on wood furniture is a common mistake most people make. However, develop the habit of wiping the furniture with a mild cleaner and microfibre cloth immediately after you notice stains or spills. This habit is especially important for keeping tables, chairs, couches and other wood furniture you use for eating while you dine or lounge sanitary.
If you have a baby or small children, keep cleaning supplies on hand at all times to remove ink marks, scuff marks and other messes from wood furniture before they become challenging to remove.
Tips for Caring for Wood Furniture
Although wood furniture is sturdy and lasts years, it can become dull and damaged without proper care. Thus, here’s how you can keep your wood furniture shiny and structurally sound.
- Don’t keep wood furniture or any furniture in direct line of sunlight. Repeated exposure to sun can fade the wood and cause premature aging.
- Never keep wood furniture unpolished or unwaxed. These activities restore shine and reinforce protection.
- Inspect wood furniture routinely for termites, ants and other pests. In additions, keep track of wear and damage of the furniture to manage repairs and prevent further deterioration.
- Keep furniture protected with covers to keep them sanitary and prevent damage.
- Also, use coasters and mats for tables, side tables and other flat furniture to prevent water rings and other types of stains.
Wood furniture is one of the most important elements of home décor. Therefore, maintaining its lustre and structural integrity is crucial. If you have wood furniture in your home, use this guide to clean it like an expert and also care for it to prolong its shelf life.
However, don’t hesitate to seek professional assistance, if you lack the time, expertise and knowledge to maintain wood furniture.