Know Your Rental Rights As a Tenant In Sunshine Coast
For any tenant in Sunshine Coast, sustaining and ending a tenancy successfully and without dispute is the biggest goal. If you are a tenant knowing your rights is crucial to have a smooth and stress-free tenancy. Read the rental agreement thoroughly before signing it, and ensure your rental bond is lodged with the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) by the landlord.
Additionally, don’t hesitate to hire professional bond cleaners in Sunshine Coast to get your bond back without the hassle and maintain a good relationship with your rental provider.
However, to truly have a good tenancy and vacate the property smoothly, keep the following information about your rental rights in mind. Have a look.
Get a Rental Agreement with All Terms & Conditions
A rental agreement is one of the most important documents which is signed by both the renter and the rental provider. It is a legally binding contract that outlines the terms and conditions of the tenancy. It shares the weekly or monthly rent to be paid by the renter and the duration of the tenancy. It also outlines the rights and responsibilities of both the parties and other additional information.
The Bond Must Be Lodged within 10 days of Payment
Most rental providers in Sunshine Coast request a security deposit, also known as a rental bond. In Queensland, this sum is up to four weeks of rent or higher if the weekly rent is more than $700.
Thus, when you sign a rental agreement and pay a bond, your landlord must lodge it with the residential tenancies authority within 10 days of receiving it. You can claim to get the entire amount back at the end of your tenancy if there aren’t any dues or issues with the tenancies.
Right to Privacy & No Unnecessary Entry
An important rental right tenants must know is that rental providers should give you proper notice before entering the property. You have the right to enjoy privacy, and the landlord cannot intrude via frequent or unnecessary entry. Usually, the rental provider has to notify you at least 24 hours prior to entering the property, but they can enter without notice in case of an emergency.
Right to Quiet Enjoyment
Another valuable right a tenant in Sunshine Coast has is enjoying a peaceful and quiet environment. Your landlord cannot disturb your peace without a solid reason, and they must specify their reason in case they disrupt your peaceful living. In case your neighbours or other elements cause noise pollution, your rental provider must address it.
Rent a House or Unit with Pets
Before the new tenancy law reform, renting with pets was challenging as many rental providers weren’t open to letting houses or units to pet owners. However, now landlords cannot refuse pet owners without a reasonable reason. Therefore, if you have pets or plan to have pets, you can submit a request for the same, and the landlord must respond within 14 days of receiving the request.
Note: If you have pets, it is best to hire professionals for bond cleaning in sunshine coast and carpet cleaning to get a complete bond refund and end your tenancy without issues. Some landlords can add conditions for approval for pet owners, such as professional cleaning or pest control if the pet is allowed inside the rented premises or has the potential to carry parasites or pests.
Claim a Rental Bond Refund or Repayment
The rental bond payment tenants make at the start of a tenancy is refundable and should be returned to the payer(s) after your hired bond cleaners in Sunshine Coast have deep-cleaned the rental property and the final inspection is complete. Other conditions of bond refund are mentioned as follows.
- Both involved parties, i.e. the tenant and the landlord, should agree on the amount to be refunded. It can be the full amount or a sum after deductions for damages or inadequate cleaning. To get your rental bond back in full, make sure you hire professional bond cleaners in Sunshine Coast to thoroughly and adequately sanitise the property.
- The Refund of Rental Bond Form (RTA Form 4) should be signed by both parties and submitted to the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA). It can be submitted via post, email, or in person.
- If a licenced property agent is filing for security bond disposal, then he/she has to make an eTransaction using the Bond Refund Web Service.
- Before a request for bond repayment is made, it is essential tenant has no outstanding rent.
- Besides having the signature of both parties, the security bond refund form should have correct and verifiable details.
- In case of a dispute, it is recommended the lessor and lessee resolve the matter in person. For example, suppose the property is not in the same pristine state as per the original condition report. In that case, the lessee should hire professional bond cleaners in Sunshine Coast to sanitise the property. It is especially important if professionals clean the real estate before the property is occupied by the tenant.
When the parties cannot resolve the dispute regarding bond claims and refunds, the matter can be settled by the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT).
Moving out of a rental property and getting your bond back in full can be managed successfully by being aware of your rights and taking necessary measures.
Therefore, use this guide to know your rights as a tenant in Sunshine Coast. Armed with all this information, you can have a comfortable and smooth tenancy, and when it is time, you can end the lease agreement without any hassle or stress.